If you're 16 to 24 years old, we can connect you with the education, training, career exploration and employment opportunities you need to be successful. We work with you to increase your competitiveness for in-demand careers, and we customize our assistance to meet your specific needs, interests and goals.
WorkForce Central and its partners help youth and young adults with:
- Comprehensive interest/aptitude assessments
- Post-secondary training/education scholarships
- High school completion
- Leadership development
- Job search preparation
- Work experience
Check out a few of our region's outstanding youth programs below, and drop by our Youth & Young Adult Center at 4301 S Pine St, Suite 92 next to the Tacoma Mall.
If you're an incoming junior or senior in the Tacoma Public School District, Summer Jobs 253 is a great way to earn high school credit for graduation, college credits, meaningful work experience and even a paycheck. Through the program, you'll gain:
- 96-hours of paid work experience
- Up to 2 high school credits
- An academic completion bonus
- Basic work readiness
- Resume/interview skills
- Increased self-confidence and personal growth
The REACH Center in Tacoma equips and emboldens young people to succeed in education and employment. It helps youth and young adults to connect with housing services, job opportunities, training programs and educational supports. The REACH Center’s Resource Room is available to anyone ages 16-24 who needs access to computers and peer mentors for job searches, college searches, or accomplishing other goals. Other resources include a kitchen, a washer/dryer, and a rotating supply of food, hygiene products and other donated goods.
Looking for a summer job? Looking for a summer hire? Don't miss JobFest, the largest young adult job fair in Washington state. As in years past, the 2017 event will bring together HUNDREDS of qualified and eager job seekers with DOZENS of Pierce County’s employers who want to fill positions NOW!
Have you ever wondered...
- What's it like to work at a particular job?
- What do I need to do to get into the career I want?
- What classes do I need to take?
- How can I find some scholarships to pay for college?
- What summer jobs are available in my area?
If you’re asking yourself any of these questions or want more information for your career planning, then CareerLink Pierce County can help.
- Ask a school counselor or your principal if your school has access to CareerCruising.com.
- If your school doesn't have access, we can help! Have your school counselor or principal contact us at: email@example.com.
- Don’t know where to start after logging in? Download this Quick Start Guide-Student-Career Cruising And CareerLink Pierce County.
GetMyFuture is a mobile-friendly web portal offering you a wealth of resources at your fingertips. It recognizes the struggles young adults often face when trying to find employment and gives you tips and insights on how to succeed. Check out the videos to learn from others' stories, take surveys to find your dream job, access information on education or training opportunities and more by visiting GetMyFuture.org.
Ready to plan for the future? With the Self Sufficiency Calculator for Washington State, you can develop career goals, measure costs of family needs and compare different work and living environments. Don't wait to plan. Get started today.
Do you need help figuring out how to pay rent? Are you homeless and looking for shelter? Do you need to find a health care or dental care program that works for you? Do you need help securing food, clothing, household goods, utilities or transportation? South Sound 211 is here to answer your questions and connect you with assistance. They can even help you find employment.
For more information, call us at: 253-573-6805.